New Hampshire Corporation

New Hampshire Corporation Filing

Steps to File Your New Hampshire Corporation:

Choose Your New Hampshire Corporation Name

A corporation needs a name. You must select a name that adheres to the the law: RSA 293-A4.01 and RSA 293-C. The law states that you must include in your corporation name one of the following words or abbreviations:

  • Corporation or Corp.
  • Incorporated or Inc.
  • Limited or Ltd.

You cannot choose a name that is already on file with the New Hampshire Corporation Division. You can do a NH business entity search and see if your name is available or already in use.

Submit Articles of Incorporation

To incorporate in New Hampshire, you submit Articles of Incorporation to the Corporations Division of the New Hampshire Secretary of State. Articles of Incorporation list basic information about your company, such as your company name, your principal mailing and physical addresses, the number of authorized shares of corporate stock, and your New Hampshire registered agent.

A registered agent is assigned to accept service of process, legal correspondence and official state notifications on behalf of your New Hampshire corporation.

There is a $100 filing fee to process Articles of Incorporation.

You can submit Articles of Incorporation by mail, in person or online. Filings will take up to two weeks unless filed online. Online filings are processed within two business days.

Apply for an Employer Identification Number

Every New Hampshire corporation must apply for and obtain an Employer Identification Number. This is done with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

An EIN is similar to a Social Security Number, only for a business entity instead of an individual. An EIN identifies your New Hampshire corporation for federal tax purposes, such as for federal withholdings when paying employees.

Even if you have no employees, you must obtain an EIN.

Write Your Bylaws

Bylaws are the governing document of your company. Bylaws address both the ownership of your New Hampshire corporation and its management structure. You can think of Bylaws as a blueprint for how your company operates on a managerial level.

It is in your Bylaws that you will document your initial shareholders and their initial contributions to the company in return for shares of stock. You should list the classes of stock and their values, as well as the rights those shares confer on shareholders.

Bylaws are where you will appoint your initial Board of Directors and corporate officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary). These roles should be fleshed out in your Bylaws. It should be clear and evident the responsibilities and duties of every position so that when these roles are taken on there is no confusion about expectations.

Hold an Initial Shareholders Meeting

After you incorporate in New Hampshire, you must hold an initial shareholders meeting. This is the first meeting of your initial shareholders. It is at this meeting that you will ratify your Bylaws, appoint your directors and officers, and make any necessary resolutions.

Resolutions are authorizations for specific actions on behalf of the company. For example, you would likely make an initial resolution authorizing an individual to open a bank account for your corporation. The resolution might name an individual, or it might designate an office held in the corporation, such as Director or Treasurer. A resolution is written, voted upon and signed by your shareholders.

Open Business Bank Accounts

If you are going to make any monetary transactions, you will need to open a corporate bank account. Banks will need paperwork that proves your company is incorporated in New Hampshire, such as copies of your Articles of Incorporation and corporate Bylaws. The individual opening the account will likely need evidence that they are authorized to do so, such as a resolution.

You should contact the bank where you want to open an account. Each bank has its own particular requirements for opening accounts.

File Annual Report

An Annual Report is due from your New Hampshire corporation by Apirl 1 every year. The report can be filed online. There is a $100 filing fee.

Annual Reports are a way for the Corporations Division to update basic information about your company, such as your address information or your New Hampshire registered agent. Starting in 2016, you will be able to change your New Hampshire registered agent on your Annual Report without paying an additional fee.

Submit Beneficial Ownership Information Report Filing

Starting January 1, 2024, most newly-formed corporations are required to file a Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) report with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) following company formation. There is no fee to file, and your information does not go on the public record. On your report, you’ll need to disclose some basic details about your company and those with the most control over your corporation’s profits and operations. Save yourself from the additional paperwork with our $9 BOI report filing service.

Incorporate in New Hampshire Facts
Incorporation Document Articles of Incorporation
Incorporation Fee $102
Filing Agency NH Corporations Division
Our Fee $247 (includes registered agent service)
Online Filing Yes
Expedite No
Annual Report Due April 1
Annual Report Fee $100

Do I Have to List Shareholders on Articles of Incorporation?

No. The Corporations Division does not require you to list any information about shareholders when you incorporate in New Hampshire. You do have list the number of authorized shares of stock. Classes of stock and par values, however, are optional.

Do I Have to List My Principal Business Information?

No. The Corporations Division allows corporations to leave the principal business information section blank on Articles of Incorporation. If you leave this portion blank, the information of your New Hampshire registered agent will be used in its place.

Can I File Annual Reports Online?

Yes. You can file a New Hampshire Annual Report online.