What is a Michigan LLC?
A Michigan LLC is formed by filing Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State and paying the appropriate filing fee. A Michigan LLC is governed by its Operating Agreement, which is written and agreed upon by its members, and which lays out the management structure of the company. Each member offers a capital contribution in return for an ownership percentage.
Learn more below about the structure of a Michigan LLC and how one is formed.
Michigan LLC Requirements
- Michigan Limited Liability Company Articles of Organization.
- State Filing Fee of $50 (Non Refundable).
- A Registered Agent located in Michigan. See our service here.
Michigan LLC Structure
MA Limited Liability Companies are structured legally with the Michigan Articles of Organization for a Limited Liability Company. Like many states, the document for an LLC is short and simple.
The required information to be listed:
- Duration Option
- Resident Agent
“Limited Liability Company” or the abbreviation “LLC” or “LC” must be included in the name of the Michigan L.L.C.
The purpose for which the Michigan Limited Liability Company was formed must be explained when filing for a new Michigan LLC.
You may list a date for the LLC to expire, otherwise the LLC will live on until dissolved.
The Resident Agent in Michigan will supply a name and address for the LLC to use on the Articles of Organization for use by domestic limited liability Companies.
An Organizer name and signature is required to process the new LLC.
|Michigan LLC Facts|
|Formation Document||Articles of Organization|
|Filing Agency||Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs|
|Fax Filing||Yes (with Michigan Electronic Filing account)|
|Annual Statement Report Due||February 15|
|Annual Statement Report Fee||$25|
|Our Total Fee||$195 (includes registered agent service)|
How to File a Michigan LLC
Steps in forming a Michigan LLC:
- Select a Name for Your Michigan LLC: You must select a name for your Michigan LLC that is not already registered to another entity within the State. The name of your company must include a business designator: Limited Liability Company, L.L.C. or L.C. (with or without periods). You can check the current availability of business names by doing a Michigan business entity name search.
- File Articles of Organization: To form an LLC you must file Articles of Organization with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). You must include a nonrefundable filing fee of $50. The filing can be submitted in person, by mail or by fax (through the Michigan Electronic Filing System).
- Designate a Michigan Resident Agent: A resident agent must be appointed on the Articles of Organization. An agent is responsible for accepting service of process and official business mail on behalf of your company. These documents, when accepted, are forwarded to you in a timely manner.
- Write an Operating Agreement: Your Operating Agreement is the governing document of your company. It outlines the ownership of your business (the members and their membership percentages), as well as the management structure and operation of your LLC. It is an internal document and is not filed with any government agency.
- Open a Business Bank Account: After you form an LLC, you can open a bank account for your business. Business accounts process all of the monetary transactions of your LLC. Individual banks have their own unique requirements for opening accounts, and it is best to contact the branch directly. Most banks will need copies of your Articles of Organization, Operating Agreement and an initial resolution authorizing the opening of the accounts.
- File an Annual Statement Report: No later than February 15 of each year, all LLCs are required to file an Annual Statement Report. There is a $25 filing fee. The form can be mailed, delivered in person, or filed online.
How Do I Fax File My Articles?
To fax documents to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, you must first set up a Michigan Electronic Filing System account (MICH-ELF). You must submit an MICH-ELF Application and wait to be issued an MICH-ELF Number. Once your account is setup, you will be able to fax documents to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
MICH-ELF Applications can be faxed only to the following number: 517-241-6445.
What Are My Expedite Options?
There are a number of expedite options available for filing Articles of Organization:
- 24-Hour Service: $50
- Same Day Service: $100 (must be received by 1:00 p.m. EST)
- Two-Hour Service: $500 (must be received by 3:00 p.m. EST)
- One-Hour Service: $1000 (must be received by 4:00 p.m. EST)
To request expedite service, you must include an Expedited Service Request Form with your filing.
Michigan Resident Agent Service
A Michigan resident agent service is legally bound to meet certain requirements. First, a resident agent must continuously maintain a physical street location within the State, called a registered ofice. Second, the office must be kept open throughout the year during regular business hours. Third, the agent must accept service of process and official business mail on behalf of clients. And fourth, when documents are accepted, the agent must contact the client and forward the documents to the client in a timely manner.
Can A Limited Liability Company Act as Its Own Resident Agent?
Yes. In Michigan, an LLC can act as its own agent. However, in order to do so it must meet the legal requirements imposed upon all other agents. It must maintain a registered office that is kept open during regular business hours all year long, and it must accept at this office service of process upon the company.
Michigan Annual Statement Report
After you form an LLC, you will be required to submit an Annual Statement Report each year. The first report is due by February 15, unless your LLC was formed after September 30. LLCs forming after September 30 are not required to file on the Feb. 15 immediately following their incorporation.
The filing fee for LLCs is $25. The report can be mailed or filed online.
Why Hire Corporate Filing Solutions to Form Your Michigan LLC?
Starting your LLC in Michigan shouldn’t be a hassle or a time consumer. That’s why we offer Filings Made Easy™ to make starting an LLC in Michigan super easy.
Hire us and relax while our filing experts form your new Michigan LLC. Our staff will process orders the same business day as they are received. To make things even easier, we bundle the first year of Registered Agent service and ensure your Michigan LLC comes fully equipped and ready to do its job.
Start your LLC in Michigan and get Registered Agent service for as low as $55 a year.