Rhode Island Registered Agent
Rhode Island Registered Agent Service
A Rhode Island Registered Agent will be the communication contact between the government and your Rhode Island LLC or Rhode Island Corporation. What this means is the state will send a renewal notice or compliance notice to the registered agents office address in Rhode Island. A process server trying to deliver court paperwork to your Rhode Island business will take them to your Rhode Island Registered Agents official office in Rhode Island.
Rhode Island Registered Agent service is needed by all those who want to file a new LLC or Corporation in Rhode Island. We understand every client may be different, so we try hard not to cram you into our box. You tell us how to customize your Rhode Island Registered Agent service experience, and the odds are your filing solutions portal already has the ability to do just what you’ve dreamed of:
- Want us to notify your lawyer whenever we accept service of process?
- Want us to notify a business partner or spouse?
- How often do you want annual report notifications?
- What kind of compliance update method do you prefer?
- Want to list our registered office address on your state business filings?
- Want to receive mail at our office?
A Real Solution
At our Corporate Filing Solutions Rhode Island office, our goal is to provide you a solution, not an invoice. It’s not really just our goal though, it’s our bloodline… Solutions is our last name.
Why Corporate Filing Solutions for Registered Agent in Rhode Island
- Instant Rhode Island Registered Agent Service
Sign up online and get instant access to you Filing Solutions Portal. There you’ll find all Rhode Island Division of Business Services PDF forms ready for use, pre-filled with our registered agent information, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to complete filings yourself directly with the state. If you are filing with the RI SOS online, we prompt you through the online filing process as well.
- You Choose Payment Frequency
When you hire us as your Rhode Island registered agent, you choose how often you want to pay. As you can see below, we charge less if you pay for more years of service in advance:Registered Agent Packages
|1 Year||$95 Per Year||$95 Total|
|2 Years||$85 Per Year||$170 Total|
|3 Years||$75 Per Year||$225 Total|
|4 Years||$65 Per Year||$260 Total|
|5 Years||$55 Per Year||$275 Total|
- Instant Documents
We scan all your service of process and legal documents that we receive at our Rhode Island registered office to you the same day.
- No Additional Fees
The price listed as your annual service fee is what you pay. We have no additional fees for mail forwarding and processing. You can pay for many years up front if you want less invoicing.
- Consolidation Made Simple
We always file your change of commercial clerk filing for free and cover the state fees, but you can use our registered agent service in any US state. Our service gets better and easier the more corporate entities and state registrations you have. This is where our professional grade Filing Solutions Portal really shines.
- We’re a Boutique Law Firm Service Provider
We service corporate lawyers specializing in mergers, acquisitions and corporate maintenance. As a direct consumer, you get the same professional grade tools that corporate law firms use.
- Ongoing Support
We send reminders specific to your corporate entity to help you maintain your company registration in Rhode Island yourself. Our goal is to make corporate forms easy by providing help along the way, but if at any point you just don’t want to deal with it, we charge a minimal fee to pick up where you left off. We file with the state, scan the filed copy into your portal and return it to you in an expedited time frame. It’s what we do. You can add any kind of corporate filing in your Filing Solutions Portal.
- Powerful Corporate Filings Portal
You can enter your corporate information one time with our Filing Solutions Portal. You can then generate any corporate filing you may need to do: formations, registrations, annual reports, meeting minutes, operating agreements, stock certificates and more. We include instant steps and tools to do corporate filings yourself, or you can easily hand them off to us to deal with the logistics of getting your filings across the finish line.
Change Rhode Island Registered Agent Service
Steps to Change Rhode Island Registered Agent:
- Hire a New Rhode Island Registered AgentWhen you change your registered agent in Rhode Island, you will need to know the name of your new registered agent and the address of your new registered office. Once you have the consent of your new Rhode Island registered agent, you will be ready to submit your filing.
- Submit a Statement of Change of Registered/Resident AgentTo change your Rhode Island registered agent, you must file a Statement of Change of Registered/Resident Agent. This document should be delivered to the Secretary of State Corporations Division. You cannot file this document online. You must mail it or deliver it by hand. The filing fee is $20.
- Wait for Corporations Division ApprovalProcessing times for the Corporations Division are generally seven to 10 business days. Domestic entities can file online. Online filings are usually processed on the same day.
|LLC Filing Document||Statement of Change of Resident Agent|
|Corporation Filing Document||Statement of Change of Registered Agent|
Can I Appoint a Rhode Island Registered Agent Without Their Consent?
No. § 7-1.2-501 of the Rhode Island Business Corporation Act clearly states that appointing a registered agent without their consent is a misdemeanor and can be punished by a fine of $1,000 or by one year of prison time, or both.
What is the Difference Between a Registered and Resident Agent?
There is no difference between a Rhode Island registered agent and a Rhode Island resident agent. These are merely different terms used to refer to the same service. In Rhode Island, a corporation appoints a registered agent, and an LLC appoints a resident agent.
When is the Change Rhode Island Registered Agent Effective?
In Rhode Island, when an LLC files a Statement of Change of Resident Agent, the change is effective on the date of filing.
For corporations, the effective date can be the date of filing, or the corporation can choose a different date. If a corporation selects a date different from the filing date, it cannot choose a date prior to or 30 days after the filing date.
Change of Agent Filing Tips
The Statement of Change forms ask that you list information as it is “presently shown in the records on file with the Rhode Island Secretary of State.” It is recommended that you double-check the information on record with the SOS. If you submit a filing and your information is different in any way, the filing will be rejected.
Why Hire Corporate Filing Solutions for Rhode Island Registered Agent Service?
Starting your LLC or Corporation in Rhode Island shouldn’t be a hassle or a time consumer. That’s why we offer Filings Made Easy™ to make starting a Limited Liability Company or Corporation in Rhode Island super easy with our Rhode Island Registered Agent service.
Hire us and relax while our filing experts form your new Rhode Island LLC or INC. Our staff will process orders the same business day as they are received. To make things even easier, we bundle the first year of registered agent service and ensure your Rhode Island LLC or Corp comes fully equipped and ready to do its job.
Start your LLC Or Corporation in Rhode Island and get Registered Agent service for as low as $55.
Rhode Island Registered Agent FAQ
A Rhode Island registered agent is responsible for accepting service of process and official business mail on behalf of your company. Service of process is a notice issued by a court of law that informs a business about a lawsuit that has been filed against the company.
To accept service of process, a Rhode Island registered agent must maintain a registered office. A registered office is a physical street location in the state of Rhode Island. It cannot be merely a post office box. A physical street address is required to ensure that service of process and certified mail can be delivered reliably. The Rhode Island registered agent must be open throughout the year during regular business hours.
Some states have more than one term for the same service. Corporations designate a Rhode Island registered agent, while LLCs designate a Rhode Island resident agent. Both of these are the same service and perform all of the same duties. Both must meet the same standards laid out by the Rhode Island state statutes.
You may also encounter the terms: agent for service of process, statutory agent, or commercial agent. All of these refer to the same service.
You appoint a Rhode Island registered agent on your formation or registration document. Or, if you are changing your registered agent, on your Statement of Change.
You can designate a Rhode Island registered agent on these documents:
- RI Limited Liability Company: Articles of Organization
- RI Corporation: Articles of Incorporation
- Foreign LLC Qualifying in RI: Application for Registration
- Foreign Corporation Registering in RI: Certificate of Authority
Every registered agent must meet the requirements laid out in the Rhode Island Business Corporation Act and the Rhode Island Limited Liability Company Act. The Secretary of State oversees the regulation of registered agents.
Rhode Island Secretary of State Registered Agent Requirements:
- Maintain a physical street location inside the state, called a registered office (cannot be a PO box)
- Be available during regular business hours all year long
- Accept service of process and official business mail on behalf of clients
- Contact clients when documents are accepted at the registered office
- Forward documents to clients in a timely manner
Yes. But only if you can meet the legal requirements enforced by the Rhode Island Secretary of State. Many entrepreneurs assume that being their own Rhode Island registered agent will be a good way to save money, but there are drawbacks and challenges to overcome.
No. Section § 7-1.2-501 of the Rhode Island Business Corporation Act strictly prohibits appointing a Rhode Island registered agent without consent. In fact, the Secretary of State imposes a penalty upon any officer, agent or servant of the business who designates a registered agent without consent.
The violation is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of no more than $1000, imprisonment of not more than one year, or both.
The Rhode Island Business Corporation Act authorizes the following to be designated as a registered agent within the state:
- An individual of the state
- A domestic corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or LLC
- A foreign corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership or LLC authorized to transact business in Rhode Island
In all cases, a Rhode Island registered agent service must provide a registered office with a physical street address (a post office box is not sufficient), maintain regular business hours, and perform the functions of a registered agent service.
If you fail to maintain a registered agent, or if your agent cannot with reasonable diligence be found at your listed registered office, then service of process will be delivered instead to the RI Secretary of State. In this case, the Secretary of State will forward your documents to your registered office and keep a record of the service of process. Records will be maintained for no longer than five years.
Business entities that fail to maintain a Rhode Island registered agent for longer than 30 days can be penalized and have their authority to do business revoked.
A Rhode Island resident agent may resign at any time by filing a written notice with the Secretary of State. In this event, the Secretary of State will contact you and inform you of the resignation. After a resignation, you will have 30 days in which to appoint a new Rhode Island registered agent.
Failure to hire a Rhode Island registered agent within 30 days will possibly result in administrative dissolution of your company.
You can change your Rhode Island registered agent service by filing a Statement of Change form with the Corporations Division. There are separate forms for corporations and LLCs. The document can be filed online or delivered by mail. There is a $20 filing fee to change your Rhode Island registered agent.
§ 7-1.2-501: Registered office and registered agent – Designation of registered agent without authority.
- (a) Each corporation shall have and continuously maintain in this state:
- (1) A registered office, which may be, but need not be, the same as its place of business.(2) A registered agent, who may be
- (i) An individual resident in this state,
- (ii) A domestic corporation, a domestic limited partnership, a domestic limited liability partnership, a domestic limited liability company, or
- (iii) A foreign corporation, a foreign limited partnership, a foreign limited liability partnership or a foreign limited liability company authorized to transact business in this state, in each case, having a business office identical with the office of such registered agent which generally is open during normal business hours to accept service of process and otherwise perform the functions of a registered agent; provided, however, that in the case where the registered agent of a corporation is an attorney, the business address of the agent need not be identical with the registered office, but may be the usual business address of the attorney.
- (1) A registered office, which may be, but need not be, the same as its place of business.(2) A registered agent, who may be
- (b) Any incorporator, officer, agent, or servant of a corporation, who designates a registered agent for that corporation without the registered agent’s authority, is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, may be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment of not more than one year, or both.
Rhode Island Secretary of State
Division of Business Services
148 West River Street
Providence, RI 02904-2615