Montana Corporation

What is a Montana Corporation?

Montana Corporation or Montana INC, is a business formation registered with the Montana Secretary of State. The Montana Corporation will be able to issue shares of stocks to employees and investors, unlike an LLC in Montana.

Montana Corporation Requirements

  1. State Filing Fee of $35.
  2. A Registered Agent located in Montana. See our service here.
  3. Articles of Incorporation.
  4. Beneficial Ownership Information Report filing. Your report must be submitted after company formation starting January 1, 2024.


Montana Corporation Structure

MT Corporations are structured legally with the Montana Articles of Incorporation. Like many states, the document for a Corporation formation is short and simple.

The required information to be listed:

  • Type of Corporation
  • Name
  • Registered Agent
  • Shares
  • Incorporator

Type of Corporation

List the type of Corporation that you are forming in Montana.


A name that can not be confused with another Corporation in Montana will be listed on the MT Articles of Incorporation.

Registered Agent

The name and address of a legal Montana Registered Agent will be listed on your formation paperwork. The Registered Agent in MT will accept any lawsuits or important legal messages for your Montana Corp.


Your Montana Corporation will have the option to determine it’s own number of shares of Capital Stock.


The name and business mailing address of the Incorporator is required to be listed on your MT Articles.

Montana Incorporation Facts
Filing Document Articles of Incorporation
Formation Fee $35
Filing Agency Secretary of State
Our Fee $180 (including registered agent service)
Online Filing No
Expedite Filing Yes
Annual Report Due April 15
Annual Report Fee $20

How to File a Montana Corporation

Steps to Incorporate a Montana Corporation:

  1. Name Your Montana Corporation: The first step when you incorporate in Montana is to choose a name for your company. It is advisable for you to do a business entity search on the Secretary of State website to check for the availability of your name, as you cannot register a corporate name that is already in use within the state.
  2. File Articles of Incorporation: To incorporate in Montana, you file Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State. There is a $35 filing fee. You can submit Articles of Incorporation by mail, in person, or by fax.Articles of Incorporation list basic information about your company, such as your corporation’s name and principal business address, the number of shares of capital stock you are authorizing, and the name and address of your Montana registered agent.
  3. Write Corporate Bylaws: Your corporate Bylaws are the governing document of your Montana corporation. Bylaws dictate the ownership of your corporation, listing the names and addresses of your shareholders, their initial contributions to the company, as well as the number and classes of shares that they own.Bylaws also govern the management of your business. Bylaws designate your Board of Directors and corporate Officers (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer), the rights and duties of each, and various administrative processes, such as how annual shareholder meetings will be held.Bylaws are not filed with any government agency. It is strictly an internal document.
  4. Open a Business Account: After you incorporate in Montana, you will want to open a business bank account to process the monetary transactions of your new corporation. A corporate account can be set up at any bank, but you should call in advance to determine what documents will be needed, as each bank has its own rules and regulations. Most banks will want copies of your Articles of Incorporation, corporate Bylaws, and an initial resolution authorizing the opening of the account.
  5. File Annual Reports: Every Montana corporation is required to file an Annual Report with the Secretary of State. The due date for Annual Reports is April 15. There is a $20 filing fee. Annual Reports can be filed online.
  6. Submit Beneficial Ownership Information Report: You must a file a BOI report with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network after formation, starting January 1, 2024. The BOI report is free to file and must be submitted online.


Can I Reserve a Name for My Montana Corporation?

Yes. Before you incorporate in Montana, you can reserve a corporate name by filing an Application for Reservation of Business Name. The name reservation lasts for 120 days. A $10 filing fee applies.


What Are My Expedite Options?

The Montana Secretary of State offers two expedite options:

  • 24 Hour: $20 fee
  • 1 Hour: $100 fee


Montana Registered Agent Requirements

A Montana registered agent is required to maintain a physical street address within the state and keep regular business hours year round. A registered agent must willingly accept legal correspondence, service of process and official business documents on behalf of its clients. When documents are accepted, the agent must forward the forms to the client in a timely manner.


What is Montana’s Corporate Tax Rate?

Currently, a Montana corporation is taxed at 6.75% on corporate earnings. There is a minimum tax fee of $50.


Federal Beneficial Ownership Information Report Filing

Starting January 1, 2024, most newly-formed corporations are required to file a Beneficial Ownership Information (BOI) report with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) following company formation. On your report, you’ll need to disclose some basic details about your company and those with the most control over your corporation’s profits and operations. Save yourself from the additional paperwork with our $9 BOI report filing service.


Why Hire Corporate Filing Solutions to Form Your Montana Corporation?

Starting your Corporation in Montana shouldn’t be a hassle or a time consumer. That’s why we offer Filings Made Easy™ to make starting a Corporation in Montana super easy.

Hire us and relax while our filing experts form your new Montana Corporation. Our staff will process orders the same business day as they are received. To make things even easier, we bundle the first year of registered agent service and ensure your Montana Corporation comes fully equipped and ready to do its job.

Start your Corporation in Montana and get Registered Agent service for as low as $55 a year.