What is a Louisiana LLC?
A Louisiana LLC is formed by filing Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State and paying the appropriate filing fee. A Louisiana LLC is governed by its Operating Agreement, which is written and agreed upon by its members, and which lays out the management structure of the company. Each member offers a capital contribution in return for an ownership percentage.
Learn more below about the structure of a Louisiana LLC and how one is formed.
Louisiana LLC Requirements
- Louisiana Articles of Organization (Limited Liability Company).
- State Filing Fee of $100.
- A Registered Agent located in Louisiana. See our service here.
- Initial Report
Louisiana LLC Structure
LA Limited Liability Companies are structured legally with the Louisiana Articles of Organization for a Limited Liability Company. Like many states, the document for an LLC is short and simple.
The required information to be listed:
- Registered Agent
The name of the Louisiana LLC will be listed on the Transmittal Information, Articles of Organization and the Initial Report documents.
The Parish/County that the LLC is formed in will be listed.
An affidavit and acknowledgment of acceptance from the Registered Agent is required.
The names and municipal addresses of the first managers or members will be listed.
Each person who organizes the LLC will sign as an Organizer.
|Louisiana LLC Facts|
|Formation Document||Articles of Organization|
|Filing Fee||$105 ($135 online)|
|Expedite||24-Hour ($30 / Automatic Online)|
|Annual Report Due Date||Exact Anniversary of Formation|
|Annual Report Fee||$30|
How to File a Louisiana LLC
Steps in forming a Louisiana LLC:
- Name Your Business: Your LLC name must be distinguishable from all over entity names already registered in the state of Louisiana. You can do a Business Entity Search on the Secretary of State website to check for current availability. You must include an LLC identifier in the name, such as Limited Liability Company, LLC, etc.
- Submit Articles of Organization: To form an LLC you submit Articles of Organization to the Louisiana Commercial Division. There is a $100 filing fee ($135 online).
- Designate a Registered Agent: On your Articles of Organization, you are required to appoint a Louisiana registered agent. The registered agent must have a physical street address within the state where service of process can be accepted.
- Submit Limited Liability Company Initial Report: LLCs are required to file an Initial Report when submitting their formation paperwork. The Initial Report is included with the Articles of Organization and must be submitted with the Articles. Your registered agent must sign the Initial Report, authorizing their consent to represent your business. There is no additional fee.
- Write an Operating Agreement: An Operating Agreement is your LLC’s governing document. It is an internal document that details the ownership of your LLC and its management structure. An Operating Agreement is not filed with any government agency.
- Open Business Bank Accounts: Once you form an LLC, you can open business accounts with a bank to process all of your business transactions. Banks will generally need to see copies of your Articles of Organization, Operating Agreement, and an initial resolution that authorizes the opening of the accounts.
- File an Annual Report: After your LLC is formed, you will be required to file an Annual Report each year. The deadline is the exact day of your formation. There is a $30 filing fee.
Why Are Online Filings More Expensive?
The Commercial Division automatically expedites all online filings, which adds $30 to the initial filing fee. As well, a $5 online service charge is tacked onto the fee.
How Do I Expedite My Louisiana Filing?
The Articles of Organization comes with a Transmittal Information sheet. You can elect Expedite Filing on this sheet. The fee is $30.
If you file online, the filing is automatically expedited.
Can I File My Initial Report After Submitting the Articles of Organization?
No. They must be submitted together. The Articles of Organization will not be accepted and processed without the Initial Report.
How Do I Know My Articles Were Accepted?
The Commercial Division will send you a Certificate of Organization, which serves as proof that your LLC officially exists in Louisiana.
Louisiana Registered Agent
A Louisiana registered agent is required to fulfill a number of duties. First, an agent must maintain a registered office, which must be a physical street location, not a PO box. The registered office must be kept open during regular business hours throughout the year in order to accept hand-delivered service of process and other important business mail. When documents are accepted, the clients must be contacted. The documents must be forwarded to the clients in a timely manner.
Louisiana LLC Annual Report
After you form a Louisiana LLC, you must file an Annual Report each year. The Annual Report is due by the exact date of your LLC’s formation. There is a $30 filing fee.
Why Hire Corporate Filing Solutions to Form Your Louisiana LLC?
Starting your LLC in Louisiana shouldn’t be a hassle or a time consumer. That’s why we offer Filings Made Easy™ to make starting an LLC in Louisiana super easy.
Hire us and relax while our filing experts form your new Louisiana LLC. Our staff will process orders the same business day as they are received. To make things even easier, we bundle the first year of Registered Agent service and ensure your Louisiana LLC comes fully equipped and ready to do its job.
Start your LLC in Louisiana and get Registered Agent service for as low as $55 a year.